Last update on 21/10/2020
Due to the current measures applied to contain the expansion of COVID-19 pandemic, we are unable to accept any new internships in our research group. Please check this webpage to keep you updated.
We really appreciate your interest and we are sorry for the inconveniences caused by this situation
Due to the university nature of La Fe Hospital, the Haematology and Hemotherapy Department (HHD) has an important teaching character declared by its collaboration with the Medical School of Valencia University. HHD directs high quality pre (Haematology subject, seminars and practises in the 4º year of Medicine) and post graduate (Haematology specialization and continuous training) teaching, as can be seen in the HHD Teaching Guide. Likewise, the HHD receives every year numerous foreign specialists in postgraduate programs. Each year multiple national and international courses with world-renowned experts are organized in the Department. In addition, the participation of HHD members as organizers and speakers in numerous international high-level meetings is remarkable.
The Hematology Research Group (HemRG) has a broad experience in basic, translational and clinical research in hematology. It is composed by a multidisciplinary team with international reputation and accredited expertise in different areas, including diagnosis and treatment, molecular biology and disease modeling. Our aim is to contribute to a better understanding of hematological diseases as well as to develop new clinical protocols for patient treatments. To achieve this, we have ten main research lines:
- Pathologic/immunophenotypic/molecular characterization of hematopoietic cells
- Development of pre-clinical models
- Development of diagnostic tools applicable to clinical practice
- Development of clinical trials
- Research on hematopoietic progenitor cell transplantation
- Blood Bank, Support & Donor Management System Improvement
- Research on the impact of microbiome on outcomes in oncohematological diseases
- Integration of clinical Big Data information
- Transversal aims
What we offer
- Internships, Degree (TFG), Master (TFM) and Doctorate (Ph.D.) projects
HemRG offers outstanding training for Undergraduate, Master and Doctoral level studies. Our research training program plays an integral role towards our commitment to support young people in their transition towards professional life. HemRG gives an opportunity to gain high-quality research experience in an interdisciplinary environment, surrounded by state-of-the-art facilities and professional guidance and supervision. Due to our close proximity to the Hematology Division at HULAFE, clinical research is possible.
- Techniques to be learnt
Our research training program offers the possibility to learn the following techniques:
- Molecular biology.
- Hands on next-generation sequencing to determine the mutational spectrum in patient hematological samples.
- Immunophenotypic characterization of hematological populations by flow cytometry.
- Bioinformatic analysis of omics data to determine genomic and transcriptomic profiles of hematological diseases. Integrative analysis of omics and clinical data.
- Hematopoietic stem and progenitor transplantation.
- CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome editing to model hematological diseases in several model organisms (cells, elegans, mice).
- Mice experimentation.
- Immunotherapy: T-cell banking and CAR-T cell development and manufacturing.
- Equipment and infrastructure
We have numerous cutting-edge facilities that support outstanding research across the biological sciences. Beside access to platforms from IIS La Fe (www.iislafe.es/en/services/), HemRG also gives access to:
- Fluorescence and Magnetic Cell Sorter Unit (MACS).
- Molecular cytogenetic facility (SKY, FISH, Karyotyping, SNP Arrays, etc).
- Complete immune and histopathology facility.
- Laboratory and office space.
- Training activities
Students are continuously exposed to cutting-edge training through year around classes, seminars, and workshops organized by HemRG, Universities, IIS La Fe (www.iislafe.es/es/formacion/cursos-y-jornadas/) and other institutions. The training will permit a wide view of the hematology field and capacitate the student to transfer the acquired know how and scientific knowledge to an academic setting, industry, research or clinical laboratories. The aim is to prepare students for future professional settings.
- International networking
HemRG participates in national (e.g. GESMED, PETHEMA, CIBERONC) and international cooperative groups (e.g. MDS-Right, HARMONY, EuropeanLeukemiaNet) giving the opportunity to design outstanding projects in collaboration with renowned hematology experts and to perform stays in such laboratories.
What we demand
HemRG is open for students from various backgrounds. Although a Degree in Medicine/Pharmacy/Biological Sciences (Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Computer Science, etc) is highly desired, we do not exclude other academic disciplines, such as Chemistry, Physics, Engineering, Mathematics or Nursery.
- Valuable skills
Students should be fluent in English (B2 level is advisable). Animal experimentation course may be necessary for some research projects. Good oral and written communications skills are desired.
- Our expectations
We seek for highly-motivated and talented students committed to perform state-of-art research. Students should possess good academic mark to apply for fellowships and capacity to work in a team as well as independently. Candidates must demonstrate vocation and commitment with science. They must be determined, proactive, willing to learn and with strong working capacity. Furthermore, candidates are expected to have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Doctorate programs
HemRG recommends students to enroll Ph.D. programs offered by Universitat de València (https://www.uv.es/escola-doctorat/) and Universitat Politècnica de València (https://www.upv.es/entidades/EDOCTORADO/info/indexnormalv.html). HemRG is eligible to do a European Doctorate.
HemRG gives the opportunity to apply to regional, national and international master and pre-doctoral fellowships. Requirements and deadlines are call-specific. The main calls are listed below:
- Ayudas a Investigadores Predoctorales en Cáncer a desarrollar en centros de Valencia
- Subvenciones para la contratación de personal investigador de carácter predoctoral de la Generalitat Valenciana
- Contratos PFIS: contratos predoctorales de formación en investigación en salud del IIS Carlos III
- Beca lanzadera: Ayudas CIBERONC de iniciación a la investigación del CIBERONC
- 3rd edition of the researcher career path in Spain by FECYT
- Contact information
If you are interested in our research training, please contact to email@example.com.
Further information about HemRG can be found at: